Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Tuesday Off!

I'm extending the Labor Day weekend by taking a few days off this week. Walks, US Open tennis, and practicing guitar are all on the agenda, as is checking in with my MENC colleagues a few times a day! It's just a really busy time of year and hard to get completely away from the office.

We had so many meetings last week that I didn't find a minute to blog. The meetings involved what we're going to be doing to improve the MENC Web site over the next year, some departmental changes at MENC, and much more -- including the monthly social, which it was my department's pleasure to host on August 30. (See fellow blogger RF's post last week for a look at what we ate.) At the social, we heard about our colleague EH's trip this week to the Mrs. America pageant, where he will be talking to all the contestants about music education, which is the official platform of the Mrs. America pageant in the coming year. All the contestants will be making music education advocacy part of their public appearances in their states.

I've also been spending some time online checking out some new and old music. This got me thinking of an old list I used to keep: the best fade-outs/endings of songs and the best beginnings. So I thought I'd try to recreate that here.

Favorite Fade-Outs or Endings:
Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie (featuring Thomas Dolby on synthesizer)
With or Without You - U2
One Door Opens - Richard Thompson
Burning Down the House - Talking Heads
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush

Favorite Song Beginnings:
Pride (in the Name of Love) - U2
Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen
Under My Thumb - Rolling Stones
Jumping Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
Friday I'm in Love - the Cure

Well, that's actually all I can think of at the moment and I must run. If my mind returns to this topic later in the week, I'll update the list.

Onward -- EWL