Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Interlude: Picture This




Hey, Happy Thursday


The photo above is me on Grand Finale day, a shot taken by BS. I like it because it makes me look like a real photojournalist. which I am not. I will explain the other photos in a moment.


This week was really busy for me as I worked to finish the online news for August
Teaching Music and a special Web news edition of the National Anthem Project Grand Finale. With both of those projects in the capable hands of the Web guys, I am now working on news from September Music Educators Journal. Lots of news to pass along to you in the September issue, which is scheduled to go into the mail in mid-August.

I have stories on the MENC Centennial Congress held in late June in Orlando, Fla. Click here to read MENC 's Centennial declaration. I will also include stories on MENC's new Concerto Contest in which a talented high school musician will be chosen to play with "The President's Own United States Marine Band" at the MENC Biennial Conference in April 2008 in Milwaukee. Other stories include National Anthem Day on September 14, the birthday of "The Star-Spangled Banner." You can make plans to celebrate that day The four pages are jam-packed. I know, I know. School is still out, but hey, I am just trying to give you a heads-up. Feel free to continue what you are doing.

Have the summer doldrums set in where you are? Actually, the weather here is pretty nice here in Reston today. My son Matt is doing a teen camp this with several buddies and as I write this he is at King's Dominion, an amusement park near Richmond, Va. I am so glad they have a warm but not hot and sticky day.Though, actually, he plans to do the water park, too, so he probably doesn't care. I am just being a mom.

But right now I need to go back to being an editor because I have an issue calling my name.I leave you with a couple of my favorite photos of recent weeks.

I spent quite a bit of time looking through photos over the past few weeks. Photos of the centennial celebrations in Keokuk, Iowa, and Orlando, photos from the National Anthem Project Grand Finale, lots and lots of other photos. Some of them I had taken, while others were taken by BS, MJ and MB on the MENC staff. Others were taken by MENC members. Only a select few end up in magazine or even in the online news so I want to share with you a few that I liked but didn't have room for.

BS captured this cute kid on the Washington Monument grounds on National Anthem Project Grand Finale Day. Someday the folks will say "Hey you were there!"



I like this shot, taken by James T. McRaney, past president of the History SRIG, which planned Keokuk II. He took some of the photos you will see in August Teaching Music. It should land in your mailbox sometime in the next week or so. It is a photo of Immediate Past MENC President David Circle in profile.




I took this photo on Saturday June 16 at Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Maryland. TNAP participants were rehearsing on the field for the opening ceremony of DCI Salutes America, which also served as the final event for the three-day Grand Finale. I remember what a hot day it was, but the young people on the field listened patiently to instructions and did a great job. But, hey, you know what good kids music kids are, don't you?

Oops. One more photo I meant to add. While waiting for the Grand Finale festivities to begin, BS took the photo below of MB, MENC Deputy Executive Director, picking out a tune on a guitar from the instrument petting zoo.




Til Next Thursday,
RF