Friday, July 13, 2007

The countdown begins

Hello all!

This is a very tough blog to write. As some of you may know, I am leaving MENC. You see, my husband got a fantastic job--really fantastic--about 200 miles away from here. It's the sort of opportunity that you just don't turn down. So after we talked about it, he didn't. And that means I'm going too. My job at MENC is an amazing job and I'm so sorry to leave it and the people. I believe so much in what we are doing for music education, but ultimately my family comes first and so off we go.

Next Friday will be my final blog and my final day here so be sure to tune in--that will be the sappy blog. I'm just not quite ready to go down that road until it's good'n durn time to. :)

I'd now like to use humor to cheer this blog up so I have solicited some ideas for what direction my life should go next! (All humorous and completely without merit.) Add your own creative idea in the comments section!
  • iPhone tester (Please send iPhone to 1806 Robert Fulton Dr, Reston, VA ASAP!)
  • Basket weaver
  • Train for extreme snowboarding at the next X-games
  • Clam digger
  • Cat walker
  • Contortionist
  • Hot air balloon operator (I'm scared of heights, might be tricky.)
  • Post-it artist (See beginning of portfolio below. Special thanks to blogger ML for providing the artistic tools.)

Around the Water Cooler: I'm still watching So You Think You Can Dance. And so should you. It is a phenomenal showing of artistic talent in both the choreographers and the dancers. My favorite this week was a jazz piece choreographed by the incomparable Wade Robson with dancers Neil and Lauren. Watch it here! It's only about a minute and a half so it's worth it! I also got HS in the department hooked (as well as SKJ) and we agree the hip hop this week was fantastic and the West Coast Swing was just amazing! Enjoy those, too!



CW Comments

Well, CW came up with so many great directions for my future life, I have to post his separately!

1. Astronaut
2. Replacing Katie Couric on the CBS Evening News
3. Climbing Mount Everest
4. Moving to Canada because you have strong feelings about Universal Health Care
5. Moving to Canada because you have strong feelings about seals
6. Moving to Canada because you saw Cuba Gooding Jr. in Disney's "Snow Dogs" and decided that you'd found your calling
7. You've actually been an undercover CIA agent this whole time, and you're fully responsible for the implementation of the Barracuda Web Filter
8. Running across the country ala Forrest Gump (please be supportive of me during this challenging time in my life)

9. So inspired by music education that you're heading out on your own to begin a recording career (look for your debut album, "All That You Can't Leave Behind: A Tribute To Government Relations, Lasik, Post-its, and the Backstreet Boys" in stores and on iTunes soon!)

10.
Devoting your life to the art of "pudding study" to perhaps one day take on the evil "Dr. Pudding" 11. Leaving work to prepare yourself more fully for next season's So You Think You Can Dance -- on Wednesday and Thursday nights, check your local listings.