Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thursday Interlude: Lights, Action—No Camera

Small confession. I love (with a capital L) writing behind the scenes arts stories. During my years as a feature writer at The Kansas City Star, I often wrote stories about the arts. Among my favorites were interviews with lighting, set or costume designers for various theater productions. And I loved to pick the brains of actors and playwrights. I am no James Lipton, but I got pretty good insights into what the lighting added to a certain scene or how integral the music was to moving a story along.

I also wrote about how art exhibits were installed a the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, attended sound checks and rehearsals for various groups that rolled into town for stadium shows at Arrowhead (where the Kansas City Chiefs football team plays. ) Whether it was watching the meticulous uncrating of a priceless painting or roadies tripping over cables while setting up equipment, I like taking people back stage with me.

So I am pleased to be able to take you along to a taping of the From the Top public radio show Wednesday night The Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, Maryland. The show will air in October. I will let you know when closer to the date. In case you don't know From the Top is a non-profit organization that encourages and celebrates the commitment of young people to music and the arts through a variety of media, including nationally broadcast television and radio shows, education programs.

MENC works with the From The Top producers and with MENC members who write lesson plans for the weekly hour long shows. FTP producers graciously provided tickets for the show and EWL, NS and I attended the taping last night. Strathmore is a young performing space, a soaring musical hall of blond wood and purple seats that is both majestic and welcoming.

Hosted by talented pianist Christopher O'Reily, the show features teenagers who just happened to be amazing classical musicians. One last night was Eun-Hye "Grace" Lee, a 17-year-old pianist from Los Angeles who mesmerized the audience with "Sonata for Piano, Op. 25, IV. Fuga: Allegro con spirto" by Samuel Barber.

The night of music just blew me away. The young people produced music that was so passionate and heartfelt, not to mention exquisitely played (and sung—baritone John Brancy was wonderful), that no one really had to be told to clap louder.

I can't wait to hear the radio show. It was fascinating to watch the From the Top people work—silently guiding the students on and off the stage and from one microphone to another. I was also surprised to see that O'Reily actually sits down to play the From the Top theme at the top of the show. He played another piece as well that was short but thrilling.

The warm-up guy was funny as he gave us "rules" for participating in the show. Loud cheering and clapping were encouraged. And, oh, yes, turn off those cell phones. I would share some photos with you, but well, you know those warning about flashes harming the performers? No photos. I was really out of luck because my digital camera and phone are one and the same.

O'Reily was jovial and welcoming with the young virtuosos, including working with violist Paul Laraia, a member of the Newman Advanced Study String Quartet from Wayne, Pennsylvania. They went through a top 10 list of things you don't say to someone who has just concluded a performance. I won't spoil all of the fun, but one of them was "Did they let you warm-up first?"

I can't wait to hear it on the radio in October. Oh, and in case you are wondering, with just a handful of minor recording glitches, it took about 90 minutes to tape the 60 minute show.

Til Next Thursday
RF