Tuesday, June 5, 2007

40 Years Ago

Two momentous events occurred on June 2, 1967. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released, of course. It was also the birthdate of one of my favorite musicians and friends, Nerissa Nields. This past weekend, I attended the Herndon (VA) Festival to catch Nerissa and her sister Katryna perform a set of their original alt-folk-rock music. The sisters are also children's music performers, early childhood music educators. and have contributed to MENC's public service announcement series, Why Music? Of course seeing them at this time of year was a chance to congratulate Nerissa, as I do every year, on having such an utterly cool birthday.

Sgt. Pepper got a lot of press in the last week. The Washington Post had a great op-ed about why the music of the Beatles will stand the test of time. (No argument from me about that.) The author is Daniel J. Levitin, a former record producer, now a professor of psychology and music at McGill University in Montreal and the author of "This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession." I think I will have to check out this book.

In other news, it turns out that spelling is just a hobby for Evan O'Dorney, the winner of the 2007 National Spelling Bee -- his favorite subjects are music and math. (Thanks to a blog reader for this excellent tip!)

Wednesday of this week, From the Top is in town for a radio show taping at the DC area's newest fantastic performing arts facility, Strathmore Music Hall. I've decided to go and see for myself what is happening that can't be seen on this wonderful radio show.

I did clean the litter boxes, dog beds, etc. out of my office over the weekend and got them to the Washington Humane Society, so it's looking a little more professional in here. Good thing, too - it's going to be a busy month of meetings, projects, etc. And of course, the National Anthem Project Grand Finale in just over a week and then shortly after that, I'm off to the MENC Centennial Celebration.

Onward! -- EWL