Friday, May 18, 2007

Everyone loves pudding!

Hello all!

This week has just flown by for Gov. Relations and Outreach! On Tuesday night we had an MENC Government Relations Task Force conference call to work on a new advocacy resource. Keep your eyes peeled. I've also been getting ready for Tuesday's Advocacy Webinar titled, Working with Allies -- Associations and Businesses. If you are an MENC member, you are invited to register!

Today the MENC Legislative Memo is coming out. One great piece of news in the Legislative Memo that I want to share is that Congress passed a resolution in support of music education. The House passed the resolution on April 26 and the Senate passed it on Tuesday. Because it is a "concurrent resolution" it will not go to the president as many bills do, but rather gives a "sense of Congress". The conclusion of the resolution reads,

"Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That it is the sense of the Congress that music education grounded in rigorous instruction is an important component of a well-rounded academic curriculum and should be available to every student in every school."

This week CW and SJ have been feverishly working on plans and invitations for The National Anthem Project finale June 14-16. (Shameless plug--you should come and sing with the thousands of school children plus the Oak Ridge Boys!) I have been working on the project since before it began and can't believe we're almost at the end. I think it has been a fantastic project for music education and has really highlighted the importance of music education to an audience that hadn't always been so supportive in the past.

Around the Water Cooler:

Part One -- Sweeps: I read an article about how Idol ratings are down and I have to say I'm not surprised. With Melinda now out of the competition I realized I'm not actually that excited about the finale. Then again I also realized I'm not that exicited about the finale regardless of who's in it. I'm still a big Blake fan, but I'm okay if he doesn't win. And I'm SO GLAD that Joey is in the finals of DWTS. GO JOEY!! I have to say the season finale of Ugly Betty last night blew my socks off--wow!! LOVE the show for so many reasons. Grey's had some shockers, but I'm disappointed in this season's portrayal of marriage so overall I was not as impressed.

Part Two: Stumbled upon this earlier in the week...love it!