Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thursday Interlude: Music Grads Get The Edge


I graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City way back in the last century. At the time I vaguely recalled the UMKC Conservatory at the university and occasionally seeing someone loping across the campus carrying a violin. Today, as an alumnus who flips through the quarterly newsletter, I know the Conservatory celebrated its centennial in 2006 and counts among its graduates Kansas City native, composer John Kander (of the songwriting team Kander and Ebb). It is a highly respected training ground for musicians and musical careers of all types


An English major, I was so relieved to escape with a B in zoology, that I really didn't focus too much on the commencement speaker, who was a state senator or some other politician. To this day, I don't really recall what he said, though I am sure it was suitably inspirational. So I was extremely jealous when opened an email press release this week from the Berklee College of Music in Boston .


You know who appeared at their 2007 commencement exercises? Grammy-winning artists Gloria and Emilio Estefan and U2 guitarist, The Edge. Curious, I did some research and learned that Berklee commencement speakers in recent years were as follows:

• 1999 - David Bowie
• 1998 - Carly Simon
• 1997 - Chick Corea
• 1996 - Pat Metheny
• 1995 - James Taylor
• 1994 - Sting
• 1993 - Billy Joel
• 1992 - Bonnie Raitt
• 1991 - Ahmet Ertegun
• 1989 - George Martin

All I'm saying is that if Sting or The Edge or Gloria Estefan or Bonnie Raitt showed up at my graduation, there'd be no snoozing on my part and I am sure I would remember they were there. Music schools rock. Seriously.

From left: Andrew Hill's wife Joanne Robinson Hill, Emilio Estefan, Gloria Estefan, Berklee president Roger Brown, and the Edge.
Photo by Phil Farnsworth, Courtesy of Berklee College



The press release described the 2007 Commencement:

More than 800 graduates received degrees today at Berklee College of Music's 2007 Commencement, held at the Agganis Arena at Boston University. Honorary doctor of music degrees were presented by Berklee President Roger Brown to Grammy-winning superstars Gloria and Emilio Estefan, U2’s groundbreaking guitarist The Edge, and to late jazz pianist and composer Andrew Hill. Hill, who died unexpectedly in April was represented by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill.

Gloria Estefan delivered the commencement address to the graduating class and nearly 7,000 guests.
In her remarks, Estefan stressed the power of creating music, and encouraged students to write and perform from a place of personal meaning. 'Music is a healing force and we have the privilege of sharing it. It’s an awesome responsibility. It has to be something that says something from you. It’s a beautiful way to live your life. Whether you end up doing it for a business or just end up singing for your kids, teaching other people to do music, or doing therapy, go forward with a lot of belief, because it’s such an amazing way to live your life.'

The release went on to say that the night before graduation, Estefan was so moved by the
student performances at the traditional commencement concert that she added one of her own. "Without rehearsal, she took to the stage and sang her composition “Coming Out of the Dark,” with a student backup band and large student choir."

Curious about what speakers said at Berklee graduations past?

In 1992 Raitt shared:
"I'd really like to say today that my incredible career resurgence in the last few years is a testament that if you stick to your integrity and your goals, eventually somebody will appreciate what you are doing on a wider scale. I never have accepted that my success has been determined by my chart position, by how many tons of records I've sold, or how much press I got. The fans that have stuck by me all these years and come out to see me in a 3,000-seat hall, or a 500- seat club, or at Great Woods—those gigs equally mean as much to me."

In 1994 Sting reminisced about being a child at his mother's feet, watching as she was completely engrossed playing the piano. He also said, "
Songwriting is the only form of meditation that I know. And it is only in silence that the gifts of melody and metaphor are offered. To people in the modern world, true silence is something we rarely experience. It is almost as if we conspire to avoid it. Three minutes of silence seems like a very long time. It forces us to pay attention to ideas and emotions that we rarely make any time for. There are some people who find this awkward, or even frightening."

In 1995 James Taylor was philosophical in addressing Berklee grads:
"As you know, music is the true soul food, and not that other stuff. You can criticize it, you can put a spin on it, you can analyze it and interpret it in terms of its cultural significance. But, basically that doesn't affect music. Music is beyond the fashion of consensus reality, and basically, it either connects with us, or it doesn't."

For a treasure trove of musical wisdom from an eclectic group of musicians visit the Berklee Commencement home page .

There were other musical graduation guests this year. Aretha Franklin received an honorary doctor of music degree from the University of Pennsylvania on May 14. Franklin describes Philadelphia as a city where "A lot of my early training was in Philadelphia, so it's appropriate and delightful that I'm receiving a degree from the University of Pennsylvania," she told The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Franklin who did not attend college said "Philadelphia was a nurturing training ground for me. At the beginning of my career I spent a lot of time in Philadelphia at Showboat and Pep's on Broad Street, and later at the Cadillac Club. "
When asked if she had any words for the Penn graduates, Franklin told the newspaper, "The sky's the limit, but you've got to reach for it." Again, Aretha, I would remember. I'm just saying.

This coming Sunday, The Eastman School of Music in Rochester, New York, will hold its 82nd annual commencement ceremony for undergraduate and master’s degree students and more than 200 students will receive their degrees.

Christopher Seaman, the music director of the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra will receive The Eastman Luminary Award for his work in supporting music and the arts nationally and locally with the RPO and in Greater Rochester. Seaman will also give the Commencement address, "Conducting Your Life."

Recent or not so recent music school grads, feel free to share your commencement stories, particularly commencement speakers. I'd love to read them.

Around the Water Cooler:
That thud you heard last night was my jaw hitting the floor when the American Idol voting results were announced. Melinda won't be in the final but Jordin and Blake will. Whew! I heard a comment a couple of weeks ago that I guess proved to be true: Melinda's support was a mile wide and a inch deep. I still think she will have a career, though. I would buy a CD of hers anyway. Of course I said that last year about Taylor Hicks and I didn't actually pony up the cash when his CD came out.
Come to think of it, the only Idols whose CDs I've bought, are Fantasia and Reuben. I have purchased Kelly Clarkson songs though, one download at a time. The dance remix of "Because of You" is great for treadmill workouts.

Anyway the finals next week should be great. And as ARN and SR and I discussed in passing this week, I am also looking forward to the finales of Dancing with the Stars and 24.

See you next Thursday
RF