Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thursday Interlude: Ready for Back to School? Not!

I took the photo above of the flag in the MENC lobby, looking up to the third floor from the second floor. It is quite dramatic either looking up or looking down and it reminds me that we are in the final stages of planning for the the National Anthem Project Grand Finale, June 14-16 here in Washington DC and in Annapolis. I am getting very excited. We had a meeting to discuss the finale earlier this morning.

The goal of the project was to raise the profile of music educators and music education around the country and even though the project ends next month, MENC will continue to encourage support of music education by celebrating National Anthem Day each Sept. 14, "The Star-Spangled Banner's" birthday. We know how important it is to keep a high profile for music education.

I often get reminders of how hard it is for some music teachers out there. Last weekend my husband Steve and I attended the engagement party for a friend from his office. I didn't know her very well and had never met her husband-to-be, but hey, I like parties and I enjoy meeting new people, so I was game.


After a plate of really good food (awesome paella, delish mango brownies, etc.) I began chatting with the sister of the groom. We discovered that we had a lot in common—14-year-old sons who play baseball, a love of theater. And then she asked me what I do.

I explained that I worked for MENC, that I work for music teachers researching, writing, editing and laying out stories for two magazine and the Web. I told her about the project. It turned out she is a former music teacher, now a nurse who lives in Houston. Her kids take music and she is a big supporter of music programs, she told me about a school music program in her school district where one elementary music teacher struggles to teach more than 90 beginning string students. "I don't understand why there isn't more support for music programs. We all know how good they are for kids," she said.

Sound familiar? Anyway, I seldom tell strangers what my job is without them telling me how much they loved music lessons as a kid, that their children take and love music or that music programs are great.

With that in mind I began work on the 2007-08 issue year. The first issue is August Teaching Music and I attended a meeting last week to discuss my upcoming stories. This week I have been setting up interviews for those stories and also working on the summer online news, which will be posted in early June until August TM comes out. We have some great stories coming up. Stay tuned.

August may seem like a long time from now, but I need to complete the news pages in mid-June for the next step the production process. After the magazine goes to the printer and then comes back for a final look or any changes, it will be printed and mailed to members in mid-July. I think I mentioned earlier that I exist in a Time Warp . I am already thinking about back to school when many of you aren't even out for the summer yet. Have a good summer. I am not trying to cut it short. :-)

Around the MENC Water Cooler:
Ok, so Jordin won Idol as I thought/hoped. I actually voted by text message. She was so cute last night. I will reserve comment on the song, though. Well one comment. Huh?
What was fun for me was seeing the former Idols like Reuben. I love Reuben. Still love his voice. And Taylor is fun to watch. Love the way he works a crowd. Kelly did an amazing job, too. She just attacks a lyric. I may actually buy her new CD. There was a great interview with her last week in Entertainment Weekly about writing the songs and how personal the CD is for her.
I know we will see and hear more from Blake. I like him a lot, too. He was my favorite among the guys. Put Idol in the archives for another year and rev up the tour bus, Top 10. Sanjaya. Soon. In a town near you.

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend.

Toodles Til Next Thursday
RF