Friday, May 4, 2007

Interviews and Parking

Hello all!

Well this has been quite a busy week for the Government Relations and Outreach Department. We've also been interviewing for an assistant and have narrowed the field!

All of this interviewing made me reminisce back to when I interviewed for MENC. I remember that when I came the beautiful cherry blossoms were in full bloom and greeted me when I arrived excessively early. As I sat in my car waiting for a more appropriate time to come inside, I thought, "What a beautiful place to work," and knew I would like it instantly. Of course the fact that my parking space was in full view of my interviewer's office didn't strike me until AFTER I started the job. And we all know who drives what car...there may be 58 of us, but we still know when an "new" car arrives... ;)

People definitely have their favorite parking spaces, too. The most controversial is which "side" you park on. When you drive into our parking lot, you can either park on the right side or the left side. People are very particular as to which side they park on. I, along with several others, have theorized that where you park is a direct result of where you parked for your interview. In fact, I have found few exceptions--except me. But I have a good reason! I changed sides after someone kept hitting my car with their door and leaving marks. I'm sure they didn't realize they were doing it, but regardless, my car is happier on the "other" side. This picture is of the "right" side.

Also interesting (and maybe only to me) is the incidence of the "pull-through" and the "back-in." Because we have somewhat staggered hours at MENC, the "pull-through" works well. Those arriving earliest (and therefore leaving earlier) pull through to the front spaces so they can leave in a forward manner. Then those arriving later park behind them, but can pull through when they leave because the early employee cars are now gone. The "left" side, as pictured here, are clearly "pull-through" people as evidenced by every... single...car in the picture. The "right" side adheres in the morning, but I've found more people on the "right" side leave the office for lunch and so disorder follows in the parking lot as employees are forced to use reverse when leaving.

There is also one car lover who truly loves his car and his parking reflects it. So much so that it begs mention. He parks in the same space every day in the back row so no one will park by him. He also always backs into his space to give a clean start every time. Just in case anyone considers parking next to him, he's started parking in the middle of two spaces to clearly say, "Stay away!" It makes me smile. And not park in the back row.

Isn't it amazing how much you can tell just from a parking lot? Thankfully we have a wonderfully maintained and well-kept parking lot (thank you JR) and we are a rather flexible bunch!

Around the Water Cooler: I'm so proud of Blake. I was really worried about him after last week and frankly, disheartened. I LOVED his rendition of "You Give Love a Bad Name" and think it is the most orginal version of a song on American Idol over all six seasons. Really. I think he is a true artist that belongs in today's pop music scene. GO BLAKE!!