Friday, April 20, 2007

A little birdie told me...

Hello readers!

There's nothing like a beautiful day! Today is a simply beautiful day here in Reston. The sun is shining; the sky is blue; and if I were outside, I'm sure it would be a wonderfully mild temperature. Weather.com says it is 65F. Ahhhh. This week the sun has been mostly absent so what a fantastic way to end the week and head into the weekend.

Here in Reston, we have quite a few wild creatures wandering about. As you may know, Reston is a planned community with an emphasis on combining living and working spaces as well as green spaces. Our building is sort of nestled in with several other similarly used buildings, but we are all separated by woods. We have a deer that the first floor watches during the fall and this past fall, she got a boyfriend! (We don't think they're married because neither wears a ring.) She has been dubbed "Cookieneck" and I'm not exactly sure why...and slightly frightened to ask. [Correction: Aha! Her name is "Crookedneck" because she appears to have been hit by a car and her neck was dislocated some time ago.]

Up here on the third floor, we sometimes have birds that sit on the edge outside our windows and this week was no different. There was a particular cowbird that visited several times this week and we named him "Puffy." Puffy is very beautiful bird of some variety--black with a purple coloring around his midsection. This week Puffy spent a large majority of the week going around to all of the third floor window offices and tapping on them. While "cute" at first, I'm afraid it is a bit hard to get work done with tap, tap, tapping on the window.

Several of us were concerned about our little Puffy on Wednesday. He appeared to have flown into something or something tried to take a bite out of his head. He also was standing on just one leg and was certainly favoring it. We also didn't see him fly. You can see it a little bit in this picture. Happily by Thursday he was looking much better, using both legs, and then we saw him fly away. Now that it's Friday, I haven't seen him so hopefully he's taken the day off and headed to the beach. :)

In other news, I am hiring! I am looking for a Government Relations and Outreach Assistant. If you are interested or know someone who is check out the posting on Craigslist. We'd love to have you!

Around the Water Cooler: I can't believe Sanjaya was kicked off of American Idol. But I am ecstatic that Blake was in the bottom three. I am one that would like to see him go very far in the competition, but he needed a serious ego check. Fingers crossed this was a wake-up call! I think Phil is likely to go next week unless he figures a way to make the next theme "countrified" because I think he did an outstanding job with country and almost...almost...voted for him.

With Dancing With the Stars (DWTS), yay that Clyde is gone, but I went to China this summer and he did really well considering those flights. WOW! I think that it might be John's turn to go next week. But I'm still 100% behind my boy Joey Fatone for the disco ball trophy.

Also, I'm tied for first in CW's NHL (free) pool. I also picked the two teams that are out of the tournament to go all the way, so the chance I'll stay in first is looking pretty grim... ;)