Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thursday Interlude: Need I Say More?



Hmmm. It's Thursday, isn't it? Happy WLC Day! I hope you were able to participate in the World's Largest Concert. I just returned to my office from a staff screening of the 2008 WLC DVD.

Loved it. Really creative staging of songs, from "Music Rocks" to "Hallelujah, Get on Board," to "Fangaa Alafia." When you see kids enthusiastically participating in an event like that you know an energetic music educator is somewhere orchestrating what they do.

NS
on our staff here.does such a good job of directing the WLC project for MENC members.

Anyway, with the Vernal Equinox next Thursday, spring officially arrives, but you and I both know it's already spring. (Or I hope is comes soon where you are). My son made it through tryouts for the junior varsity baseball team at his school and in the past couple of weeks, I have seen what beehives high schools can be. Kids playing lacrosse and tennis and baseball, running track.

And then toward the end of last week, his high school also hosted the district orchestra festival, so as sweaty kids headed from the field to the locker room they shared the doors that led into the building with violinists and cellists in dress attire.

It reminded me how great a high school can be for kids, no matter what their interests. A friend in my book club also has a high school freshman and her son, not a musician or an athlete, has found friends and a niche in robotics and animee. Like a variety of restaurants in a shopping mall food court, good high schools offer an array of choices, something to tempt most kids into creating a fuller life inside and outside the classroom.

Well, gotta go. I am working ahead on May Music Educators Journal as well the revamped news we will be able to provide you on the MENC Web site EWL described earlier in the week. Now that will rock.
Til next Thursday,
RF