Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thursday Interlude: Stating the Obvious


Happy, you know what. I know some people love, love, love Valentine's Day while others believe it is a day that is a worldwide conspiracy promoted each year by greeting card companies, florists and chocolatiers. I personally love Valentine's Day, because I think it is a great time to let people know you care about them, whether significant others or others in your world at large. That said, I hope you have a good day, whether you celebrate or not. Every day is great when you get to do something you like. Hopefully like me chatting with you on the blog today (shameless pandering).

I really liked SR's posts yesterday about songs. I have mentioned previously that I love all kinds of music. I don't know a lot about many of them and that is when I need to do some research. Opera is one of those genres.

I found the Aria database Web site a while back where you can find information. The Web site includes a description of the opera plot, characters and links to where you can buy sheet music or recordings. My favorite operas are Aida , Carmen
and A Midsummer Night's Dream?

We have talked the past week or so about our new MENC Web site and our Web writing training. I am so psyched that I will be able to give you news more quickly than I do now. I will continue to provide the news for our two magazines, Teaching Music and Music Educators Journal, though, which also will be fun.

The discussions have been fun and we have a great group of MENC staffers working on the Web project. I already enjoy working with this enthusiastic group.

Oh, before I forget, are you getting into American Idol yet? I find it slowly reeling me in. Comment and let me know what you think about this year's crop of singers. Among the top 24, my favorites so far are Amanda Overmeyer, Syesha Mercado and Colton Berry, who is 17. He is from Staunton, Virgina, where he has performed in community theater productions like :"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Gotta go. April Teaching Music looms, as to do various other projects related to the MENC Conference in Milwaukee in April. Visit the conference link to see the cool array of events and sessions.

Til Next Thursday, Happy Hearts Day
RF