Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Midweek Meanderings and Miscellany 47: WEBifying....and, HEALTH!


Three of the MENC bloggers (SR, EWL, RF), and seven other MENC employees have been in a four day training session this week learning to write for the web. The new MENC website will have staff written "articles", and we're learning the ins and outs of how to succinctly provide MENC members with information they can use. Stay tuned in late spring to see how we're doing, at http://www.menc.org/!

Below are a few helpful tips from MENC members responding to January's Question of the Month on Health for Musicians (for full results, write info@menc.org).

Also, see below a few links to resources on health for musicians.

Have a good week, see you next! SR

Comments on health in music education, from MENC members:

I taught general and choral music for more than twenty-five years, and my voice range drastically was lowered. I had been a soprano in college, but became an alto. . . very gradually. I often had colds and sore throats which also affected my singing. Because of this, I began to include more directed listening lessons. I created lessons using all styles and genres, while still of course using instruments, creating, reading notation, etc. I saved my voice and I know that the students appreciated the lessons.

I find that using a wireless microphone attached to my stereo system is a wonderful voice saver, especially since I am singing in a difficult part of my range while teaching (in the area of my break).


Every music educator should have the availability of a sound meter and teach their students the nature of and effect of loud sounds upon their hearing.

Teachers who teach large groups of students should use an amplification system to make it less stressful to speak in classrooms.

I teach at the elementary level. Modeling good vocal technique is imprtant at this young age. Explaining vocal qualities so that they are conscious of using their singing voice when singing vs. speaking, whispering and shouting is also important. We work on breathing for both singing and speaking. We often warm-up with a brain dance -- technique learned at an Orff conference. It relaxes them and me while also engaging the different hemispheres of the brain. We discuss the importance of drinking water for vocal and overall health and the PE teacher stresses this too.

If children are not afforded the opportunity to perform alone when they are very young, it seems to be much more difficutlt for them to perform when they get older. Over the years I have learned that having students begin the practice of performing alone as young as possible helps to alleviate much of the performance anxiety they begin the experience as they become older solo performers. The less fuss or "big deal" YOU make of it, the less inhibited they will be too.

Do some warming up before playing as you would if you were going to do any exercise, not playing warm up but physical, ex. roll shoulders forward and back gently roll neck etc. also for clarinet, oboe and english horn players use the straps and stands available to support your instruments as you play.

Taping yourself singing, demonstrating a song, etc., when you are needing to teach Concert songs to elementary-aged students. This way, you do not have to sing every class period. My voice really took a dive this winter season when every grade level (class), was preparing for something musical (concert, musical DVD greeting for troops, caroling for shut-ins, etc.) I literally had to rest my voice when Winter Break came. I could have saved my voice if I would have just taped myself singing and had the students sing with my tape recording. Sometimes you learn the hard way...

If I feel my class is high stress (end of the quarter with lots of tests) or needs they need to focus I say, "stop and breath." This means close your eyes. Sit relaxed in your chairs and clear your minds. I avoid words like mediation and yoga, because when I first tried this techniques telling them it was mediation, the middle school response was giggling. Instead, I tell them it is a time to calm themselves, to stop everything- all thoughts of test anxiety and performance woes etc. and just feel their breathing. Over time they have grown to enjoy these short moments of doing nothing.

SCROLL UNDER Dr. Duck for HEALTH RESOURCES!

RESOURCES ON HEALTH for MUSICIANS/MUSIC EDUCATORS

Performing Arts Medicine Association

U. N. Texas Center for Music and Medicine

George Mason U. (VA) Center for Arts and Wellness

U. North Carolina Greensboro

MENC Position statement on Health in Music Education

January Music Educators Journal features articles on vocal health for singers; musculoskeletal health for instrumentalists; preventing music-induced hearing loss; and stress in the lives of music students (including performance anxiety).