Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday Back in the Office

Happy New Year! We're off to a bustling start for 2008. I have only two days to cram everything in this week, as I depart tomorrow for the Florida Music Educators Association conference to staff the MENC resource shop. Ironically, it's about 75 sunny degrees here today, so I'm not really escaping any winter chill by going to Florida. MENC marketing manager BS, on the other hand, is leaving for Alaska tomorrow for the Alaska MEA conference. I think her bags will be quite a bit heavier than mine!

Over the weekend I checked out the All-American Bowl on NBC, hoping to see our wonderful first-ever All-American Marching Band at halftime. Alas, while I could see the students in the background performing their choreography and faintly hear the music while commentators discussed the game and the athletes, the AAMB wasn't really spotlighted by NBC. Hope that changes next year. The students got great exposure in the offical program book of the game, and I heard from MENC staffer PB that it was a fantastic experience for the band members.


I got to catch up with my nephew over the holidays. He's playing alto sax in his middle school jazz band! Here's a photo of him with his teacher, MENC member Wendy Milstead of Autry Mill Middle School in Alpharetta, GA. Warren also got a guitar for Christmas. I'm very happy he is so interested in music!
Well, our centennial year is officially over! And we've made some (semi) final updates to the MENC Centennial Web site, including photos and reports from the Keokuk symposium and the Orlando celebration. Please visit if you haven't already.

That's all for today! I'll have a report from FMEA next week.

Onward -- EWL