Friday, December 14, 2007

Won't You Be My Neighbor!

Tear.

What a crazy last couple of weeks it's been here at MENC! On top of tons of exciting and interesting new work on behalf of music education, the staff has also been experiencing... the moving blues!! That's right, big changes have been happening here in Reston, VA. Here's how they affect our department:

1. My long time neighbor (if you count 5 months or so!) EWL has moved to the other side of the third floor. "A whole new wooooooooooooooorld..." I'm very sad. EWL was my go-to for editing and deadline madness counseling, so without her, things are going to be very hard. The good news is that we're now working (slowly) on building a phone relationship, because let's face it, I'm probably too lazy to walk across the entire floor to go talk to her. I also lost the lovely BS, who, alas, moved on down to EWL's new neck of the woods. So needless to say, it's very weird to see BS's old office having gone completely dark :-(

2. The wonderful SR has recently replaced EWL as my new neighbor! SR and I get along very well, and often work together on local advocacy projects, so this too, is a terrific situation! SR is currently buried in boxes (I really feel for her) from the move, so for the time being, her office somewhat resembles a really neat fort or something!

3. I have lost HLS. Well, not REALLY. But she did move from her half-cubicle to her very own office down the hall!! (my first office by the way, so I have wonderful memories!) I'm very happy for HLS, but SR and I are pretty quiet when we're by ourselves down at the end of the building, so without HLS and EWL around, it's going to take some getting used to. HLS also has TONS of jelly beans, and now they're not going to readily available to me. Curses!

4. JR isn't in our department, but she IS super cool, and also just got her own office (TRIPLE ABANDONMENT!!), so that's definitely worth sharing as well. JR and HLS are now neighbors on their own. They probably don't even remember that I exist anymore. Sigh. Maybe Harley will pay me a visit sometime soon so that I'm not so lonely down here...

Won't YOU be my neighbor?

Ok, and now to lighten the mood...

here are the Friday...

"Government Relations & Outreach Department Album Picks of the Week!!!"

SKJ: Various Artists - August Rush: Music from the Motion Picture
HLS: Ingrid Michaelson - Girls & Boys
CBLW: Dave Pirner - Faces & Names