Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thursday Interlude: Winter Wonderland?

Greetings from Snowy Reston, VA. We had about three inches of snow yesterday, a tad more than a dusting and enough to back up roads for miles. I know, I know. We're wimps around here when it comes to winter weather.

Wow. I can't believe it's been two weeks since I checked in with you guys—first Thanksgiving and then last Thursday my real job here at MENC ping-ponged from one thing to another and I didn't get a chance to dive into the blogosphere. My apologies. Actually last Thursday I worked on getting a last minute story into January Music Educators Journal. That will be a special issue, all about Musicians and health issues, so look for that before the end of the month.

That same day I recorded my second ever podcast, this time with Dr. William Dawson. The December issue of Teaching Music, which is out now, includes an interview with him and a story about his new book Fit as a Fiddle: The Musicians Guide to Playing Healthy. Dr. Dawson is hand surgeon and a concert bassoonist, so he knows a lot about both worlds and he discussed both preventative measures and actions to take when medical conditions prevent musicians from playing as they normally would. His Podcast isn't up yet, but check out other MENC Podcasts here. A few weeks ago I recorded a Podcast with Don Ester about the Society for Music Teacher Education conference and that is up for your listening pleasure.


I would imagine many of you are busy with holiday concerts, performing, conducting or both. As you can imagine we have fellow staffers here at MENC who perform. CA sings with the Reston Chorale and they performed their holiday concert last Saturday, while violinist NS will perform this weekend with the McLean Symphony here in northern Virginia.

We all try to support our performing colleagues as much as
possible and this time of year there are so many wonderful concerts, including ones at churches. View Handel's Messiah: A Soulful Celebration (On You Tube the 2004 video is described as "A tremendous crescendo to a glorious event, headed by Godfrey Gayle. Introduced by Pauline Maturi and backed by IASO, the Nottingham Community Gospel Choir and other choirs, Nathan Bray's Brass Ensemble and the IGM Chorale). I am really looking forward to a performance of "Soulful Messiah" at my church in a couple of weeks.

Of course if you prefer your Hallelujah chorus more traditional, visit here for
a December 2006 performance by the Trinity Church, Broadway at Wall Street, New York City, NY.

And last, but certainly not least this You Tube offering is "the reprise of the Hallelujah Chorus with the conductor ecstatically including the audience as well. This rendition of Handel's Messiah was performed in Hebrew for the first time ever, April 4th and 5th, 2007."
Well, gotta go. I am headlong into February TM news stories. More on that next week. Hope your holiday planning/performing is going well.

And Happy Hanukkah to those of you in the middle of the Festival of Lights.

Til Next Thursday (I promise)
RF