Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday Ramblings

Hi everyone!!

Oh MAN what a crazy week it's been! (good crazy, lots of interesting things afoot!). My main priority right now is educating Congress (who are about to run away and hide for the holidays!!) about MENC and our arts in education friends' legislative recommendations for NCLB. It's really exciting work, because if we can get Congress to support these changes to the language during reauthorization, we could make a WORLD of difference for music educators and their students!! (THAT'S why we come to work :-)). In weeks to come, the Government Relations & Outreach Department will be conducting Hill visits to spread the word about our recommendations and foster relationships with members of Congress. It's always an adventure up on Capitol Hill, every office is completely different!

In other news, we're all getting very excited here at MENC for the upcoming holiday season! I personally LOVE everything between Halloween and New Years, my absolute favorite time of year! I was thrilled when I walked into Starbucks yesterday, and amazingly, it had been transformed into a holiday wonderland -- woohoo! I suppose no one will ever be able to accuse me of not enjoying life's simplest pleasures haha ;-) Or a good old fashioned Gingerbread Latte for that matter! (which by the way, is DEFINITELY the favorite bev of the average MENC employee!).

Oh, and as a final note: I am now keeping a guitar in my office. I can't play it, I'm embarrassed to say, but it makes me feel really cool to have it in here, and I'm hoping that it will somehow encourage me to learn!! (or at worst, send good "musical vibes" my way). If anyone has any suggestions for how I could quickly learn to play, please don't hesitate to share!!

Have a wonderful weekend music education lovers!!

And now... here are the Friday...

"Government Relations & Outreach Department Album Picks of the Week!!!"

SKJ: Various Artists - Dreaming Wide Awake: The Music of Scott Alan
HLS: Jack Johnson - On & On
CBLW: Sigur Ros -
Hvarf-Heim