Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday Catch-Up

I'm a little behind this morning on account of not finishing some things I'd planned to tackle last night .... on account of watching four HOURS of television! The Sundance channel ran the 238-minute new Peter Bogdanovich documentary on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. When I started watching it at 7:00 p.m., I figured I'd just watch a little bit, since I already know probably more than I need to know about Tom Petty and have seen him live numerous times. But it was so enjoyable to hear so much music that I like so much that I just kept watching! The guy has really had a amazing career -- one forgets how many years he's been producing great tune after hit. I just love the sound of his records. And ... he's a pretty laid back guy for someone who has been in a band with a Beatle and Bob Dylan! The film is airing again this weekend on Sundance if you're interested.

I'm hearing from a lot of members this week as we launch an informal focus group on the topic of MENC's Web site. To be in the focus group, you just have to be an MENC member who wants to participate! Basically, the way it works is -- I send out a question via e-mail about Web site usage and wait to hear back from everyone. Not the most scientific approach, but a decent (and inexpensive) way to get input from members around the country who certainly could not travel to MENC for a real focus group.

My department has also grown this week as production department members YK, KR, and MM have been added to the communications/public relations/marketing group. So we're spending some time working out the details of that development.

I'll leave you today with another Famous Student Story!

MENC member Kate Fioravanti, Arts Director and Head Teacher at [ISAAC] Interdistrict School for Arts And Communication in New London, CT, writes:

"Cassie Ventura was among the members of our first class at our brand new charter school, the Interdistrict School for Arts And Communication (ISAAC). She was our school president and graduated as an eighth grader in 2000. I was her music teacher for 3 years, and also directed the opera in which she was a composer.

"I knew she had gone on to be an accomplished model, but was excited when I found out she had a Billboard Top 100 hit, "Me & U" (rose to #3 and was the #1 song for airtime in summer of 2006) and is being represented by Tommy Mottola. She dropped her last name and is simply known as Cassie. Her album came out last summer and she is working on her next one.

"She also came in to our school this March and spoke to the kids, giving much credit to her roots at ISAAC. Her upcoming project is a dance competition and a movie, where she is seeking other talented dancers. We are very proud!"

Want to tell blog readers about your famous student(s)? We want to hear about scientists, mathematicians, humanitarians, authors, athletes, businesspeople, etc. as well as musicians! Send info to ElizabethL@menc.org.

Onward - EWL