Monday, September 17, 2007

A whirlwind week & weekend in my world

WOW - Have no idea where last week went. I was here Monday-Wednesday and then headed up to Philly on Thursday morning. Squeezing five days of work into three kind of worked. I started the Board Book and felt good about that! My trainer/tennis coach is having a tennis tournament last week and this. At doubles (names were drawn out of a hat) my partner and I lost - 4 games to 8. But that was OK. Tuesday night I attended a workshop at my favorite craft store and made 8 cards. AND then to Philly -- Harley loved the King Tut Exhibition, the Cracked Liberty Bell, AND Eastern State Penitentiary. Harley was so amazed with King Tut's childhood chair - all he could think of was Tut's little butt sat in that chair 3000 years ago and he didn't quite know what to make of a broken bell or why he had to sit there looking interested.

The Penitentiary was the first one built in the United States and is very very interesting and, yes, spooky even in the daytime. The prison was designed to inspire penitence-or true regret-in the hearts of the criminals. The original seven cellblocks spread like the spokes of a wheel, and had running water and central heat before the White House. The idea was to isolate the inmates from everything. They could not leave their cells once locked in. Well worth a trip. A number of movies and TV shows have been filmed there. Two of my "haunting" shows have filmed there -- Most Haunted and Ghost Hunters. Get this --- You even had to sign a waiver to get in releasing them from any accidents you might have on the grounds. The prison looks like a castle fortress and Philly built around it. It was great to do this trip. Went up Thursday morning and returned Saturday at noon time. (More info can be found at http://www.easternstate.org/).

On Sunday morning, I played a tennis tourney single game and won 8 games to 0. The gal I played was such a sweetheart. She is just getting back into tennis and will be really good if she sticks with lessons this winter. I told her by next summer the score would be reversed. So now I am awaiting news on who I will be playing in the quarter finals. The semis and finals are this coming Saturday. It is a fun way for me to get my cardio in....... So, how is the week ahead for me in my world..... Not sure, I am plugging away at the board book and awaiting a call from our national president to review the agenda.
I was able to get a Leadership News out last Wednesday with tidbits on our upcoming board meeting and a reminder for members to check out the MENC website for input into the MENC Strategic Plan. The Plan is very important as it will guide the association the next year and play an important role in budgeting. I am also working on the bios and photos of our candidates for national division presidents-elect. I should close here and get back to work. Have a good week in your world!