Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday Interlude: Concert Ties that Bind

In December 2003, members of the 81st Amour Division in Fort Knox, Kentucky, filmed a segment for the MENC's World's Largest Concert® with the Scott Middle School Chorus at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox.
Photos by Mike Johnson and Tommy Hill


Hi y'all,
Last week I got an email from Maryanna Jones, a music teacher from Kentucky and on Tuesday we talked. Great conversation. Who, you may ask, is Maryanna Jones? I guess I am getting ahead of myself.

In my job as managing editor for news, I interview a lot of music teachers. Band directors, choral directors, general music teachers, string teachers, college professors. And believe it or not, I remember most of the people I have talked to for stories. I find music teachers to be creative, passionate folks who like kids and like what they are doing, so the interviews are often like easy-going conversations than rigid question and answer sessions.

There is one particular interview that really sticks in my mind, though. In December, 2003 I had only been working at MENC a couple of months and I was working on a story list for an upcoming issue.

The 20th anniversary of the World's Largest Concert was coming up in March 2004 and I got the idea to talk with a music teacher who had performed the concert for many of those years. Project manager AL gave me the name of a teacher and I called her.

Who I got for the interview was Maryanna Jones, an MENC member who teaches at a Department of Defense school in Fort Knox, Kentucky. Here is an excerpt from my story, which appeared in the March, 2004 issue of Music Educators Journal.

Sing, Sing a Song: WLC Celebrates 20 Years of Fun

MENC member Maryanna T. Jones, who teaches general music and choral music to students at both schools, also celebrates an anniversary with the airing of this year’s concert. This is Jones’ 20th consecutive year directing students in the WLC. She began her WLC involvement as a member of the European Music Educators Association (EMEA) and a teacher at a Department of Defense school in Germany. Participating over the years has been a moving experience for her as well as her students.

“The WLC is one of the most magnificent things we have ever done. I still keep in contact with many of my former students, and they have told me how much they remember the concert,” Jones said. “Oh, the power of music and the way it connects our lives. It is all about the kids and what the WLC has done for them over the past 20 years. Thank you MENC!”

More than 20 of Jones’ students e-mailed MENC to discuss how much they enjoy participating in the concert.


Maryanna's students posed with soldiers from the 81 Armor Division during the WLC taping in 2003.

“The World’s Largest Concert is a blast every year. I am glad we have the privilege to be in the World’s Largest Concert. It is something to look forward to,” wrote Brittany Barnes, an eighth grader.

Arielle Bland, another eighth grader, wrote, “It’s kind of fun to know you are singing the same songs other kids are singing the same day.”

Walker Intermediate Principal David Reed said that he appreciates all the effort Jones and her students put into the WLC, but he said he is equally impressed with the way she incorporates other subjects, such as Kentucky history, into her music classes.
And he emphasizes that the WLC is not just a music department effort at his school. “Our entire staff gets involved. Everyone works to make the concert happen,” Reed said.

At Scott Middle School, Principal Julio Gonzalez also says Jones plays a part in unifying students of all backgrounds. Among singers in the WLC segment are six severely handicapped students from the life skills class. Jones’ students acted as mentors for the students, some of whom are autistic or have brain damage. He added, “The WLC has been a uniting force not only for our school community but also for our military children and their families wherever they may be.”

For Private First Class Earl Gilhouse, the words of the song and the days with the kids really had special meaning. A few hours after the concert taping, he shipped out to Iraq for at least six months.“I have a family back home in Las Vegas, and thinking about them, it makes me sad to leave, but participating in [the WLC] reminds me of what I am going to defend,” he said in a telephone interview before heading overseas. “I wish I’d had a program like this back in my school.”

I remember so well the interview I did with Gilhouse, too. Maryanna called me during the taping and asked if I would like to a couple of the soldiers who participated at the museum. A moment later a deep voice came on the phone and we chatted for a few minutes. I remember trying to keep my composure and the enormity of what he was about to do sunk in. He was leaving for Iraq. That day. And he and his fellow soldiers took the time out to sing with kids. Took the time to talk to me. I was so moved, but remember thanking him for helping with taping, and also for his military service.

When Maryanna and I spoke this week she told me how happy she is that the WLC is coming back in March 2008. She is teaching high school and middle school now and looking forward to having her students participate. She inquired about the music for the concert, which will be on Thursday, March 13, 2008 . If you want WLC info, too, stay tuned to the WLC Web site where more details about the WLC will be published in the coming weeks.

Hal Leonard Corporation is supporting MENC and the WLC by providing sheet music and audio tracks for use with the WLC DVD.

In a statement, MENC President Lynn Brinckmeyer explained the return of the WLC recently:
“Thank you to all of the dedicated teachers and state leaders who voiced their desire to bring back the World’s Largest Concert. We are also grateful to the members of the MIOSM/World's Largest Concert Task Force."

“Thanks to their thorough research and review, the National Executive Board was given recommendations for a revised WLC. Once again MENC members and their students will have the unique opportunity to participate in music-making with other students across the nation,” Brinckmeyer added.

There is definitely an ebb and flow to my work, as October Teaching Music heads to the printer, I am beginning work on the November issue of Music Educators Journal. I have a story meeting tomorrow to discuss the news for that issue.

I will leave you with an aside. This morning our department, Member Marketing, hosted the August social where we celebrated the monthly birthday and anniversaries. It was a fun respite, but a lot of people have meetings today so it somewhat brief.
I made the cake you see below for the social.



It is a lemon blueberry pound cake with a powdered sugar/lemon juice glaze, a recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine in 1998. Since that time I have made it for bake sales, brunches and summertime cookouts. I must say that it works as with frozen blueberries as fresh ones, so don't be afraid to try any time of the year. Here is the link for the recipe. Let me know what you think. I may make another one for my Labor Day Block party.

Here in Fairfax County, VA, school starts next week. And my son Matt starts high school. Yea! Have a great Labor Day holiday.
RF