Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday Interlude—O Say Can You See




On Tuesday night after watching American Idol (Bye Lakisha. I will always remember "And I Am Tellin' You I'm Not Goin'." You may have a career yet, but go Jordin!) I was flipping through some television channels.
I landed on that 1992 classic, A League of Their Own on the Disney Family Channel. Even though I own the DVD, I stopped to watch for a bit because (1) because I am a huge baseball fan and (2) I love seeing Geena Davis (what a catcher!) I love it when she does the splits while catching the ball, Tom Hanks ( “Are you crying? There is no crying in baseball!”) and Madonna as “All the Way Mae,” (surely not an instance of typecasting) as their younger selves.

Before I saw this movie I never knew there was an All-American Girls Professional Baseball League during and shortly after World War II. I thought that was pretty cool that women had smashed through such barriers.

When I visited the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY, a couple of seasons ago, I made sure to visit the AAGPBL exhibit at the museum.

One of the reasons I stopped to watch Tuesday night is because there is scene where a lady of, shall we say, generous proportions, sings “The Star-Spangled Banner” to rapt crowd. I am such a lady myself and it always makes me chuckle

Anyway, that scene reminded me what a large role the national anthem has played in my life for the past several years. Not long after I began working at MENC the association launched the National Anthem Project, the national project aimed at raising the profile of music educators and the role music teachers play in teaching students about the musical heritage of the United States.

As the MENC news person, I have been lucky to be present at several NAP events—the official launch on Capitol Hill with The Oak Ridge Boys, Girl Scouts, a color guard, MENC officers and members of Congress; the unofficial launch of the NAP Road Show during Army-Navy Game weekend in Philadelphia a couple of years ago; road show stops in Richmond, Virginia, and Baltimore, Maryland.

  • I’ve taken photos of shiny-faced kids in NAP tee shirts passionately singing the “The Star-Spangled Banner” as their teachers directed them as a well-rehearsed performance. And I've seen them proudly wearing their NAP medallions, the red, white and blue ribbons dangling proudly around their necks.
  • I’ve seen little boys race their dads to put the words to the national anthem in the right order on a magnetic scramble board and a group of young singers from a school for the deaf perform “The Star Spangled Banner” in sign language.
  • I’ve enjoyed watching entire families giggle through a karaoke version of "The Star Spangled Banner" and then say "Can we do it again? "

  • I've seen teachers deftly handle television interviews that put a well-deserved on spotlight on their music programs.

As an editor, in Teaching Music and Music Educators Journal I have laid out pages with photos of teenage boys playing “The Star-Spangled Banner” on electric guitars, little girls and boys in an instrument zoo and happily banging on a variety of percussion instruments.

The Road Show reached a lot of people as it crossed the United States and many music teachers have told us that their music programs have become more visible as a result.
The project will end with a Grand Finale June 14 (Flag Day) to 16 in Washington DC and in Annapolis, Maryland.

I just came from a National Anthem Project Committee meeting where a group of us discussed the Grand Finale (visit The National Anthem Project Web site for the grand finale news). It will be a grand event indeed with students and teachers from 39 different states traveling to Washington to sing in concert at the Sylvan Theater on the Washington Monument grounds. the President's Own United States Marine Band along with The Oak Ridge Boys .


Hey, if you happen to be in DC next month join us. Or plan a trip. DC is beautiful in early summer. We'd love to see you.

And I will see you next Thursday.Toodles
RF