Monday, April 16, 2007

Thoughts in My World

If I had said, "My thoughts in my world," that would be scary! But it must be your lucky day this morning because I want to share with you the birthday greetings and thoughts from MENC current and former board members.


Wanted you to see one of my favorite photos from our birthday bash. Harriet and me - all these years later. She took me by my hand and gently guided me as I started work at MENC in 1979. Who would have figured, all these years later we still are close! She's like my second mother and she will let you know that, too! I just want to say, "Thank you, Harriet!"

From Karl Glenn (MENC President 1990-92): "Congratulations to all members, officers, and especially MENC staff for the work that they have done throughout the years to maintain the excellence of the association work. It is amazing how much effort has to go into meetings, mailings, monies and member moral. All of these take a lot of talent, patience, and expertise in each area of member services. Congratulations to all for keeping the MENC ship steaming ahead." From Aurelia Hartenberger (SW Division President 2003-05), "Happy Birthday MENC, may your light grow stronger the next 100 years!!!" From Richard Disharoon (Eastern Division President 2003-05, "With thanks to the pioneers who created a solid foundation for today's MENC. May the next 100 years see music as a part of every school program that is NEVER challenged." From Janet Barrett (NC Division President 2004-06), "As a native Iowan, I would just like to take this chance to say, 'Rock On, Keokuk!' Wouldn't you just like to imagine a chance for all of us to sit down with the participants 100 years ago to talk about music education then and now???"

From Carolynn Lindeman (MENC President 1996-98), "OH, what those great music educators started 100 years ago! Are we ever lucky to have such a fabulous organization!" From Ron Chronister (SW Division President 2005-07), "I'll never be a George Heller, but Kansas is singing Happy Birthday for you today." From Paul Lehman (MENC President 1984-86), "It is heartwarming to know that our glorious centennial occasion was commemorated appropriately in Reston. It is especially gratifying to learn that Gene and Betty Morlan and Harriet Mogge were invited to share in the festivities. I have known all three since the early '60s. Gene is the closest thing we have to a walking history of MENC. It was Gene who organized the move of the MENC Headquarters from Chicago to Washington. Both Gene and Harriet made enormous contributions to MENC, and in Harriet's case, so did both of her parents. It is especially fitting that Gene and Harriet should have an opportunity to share a little of their accumulated wisdom and insight with the current staff, some of whom were probably not yet born when Gene retired." From Will Schmid (MENC President 1996-98), ". . .MENC was indeed made great by a combination of excellent leadership from both elected officers and staff. Growth and influence don't happen by accident, and this partnership of equal strength is what we need."

And last but not least! Did you know Mississippi Music Educators Association was celebrating 60 years last week and had two birthday cakes. One for Mississippi and one for MENC. From Jane Morlan (Southern Division President 2006-08), "I know I'm chiming in late..but I wanted you to know that we were celebrating in Mississippi on Thursday with TWO cakes. . .I am always awed by the dedication of the music teachers who work so hard for their students every day and at all these special times...and they will be right back at it on Monday morning! Happy Birthday to all!"

Hope your week is a great one! It is windy here in our area. What a springtime we've had! Just got a notice that they are closing some schools in our area because of high winds and students in modular/trailer buildings. Thought March not April was suppose to come in like a Lion! Stay safe and happy.