Monday, April 9, 2007

My Muddled World

Today my world is a little muddled. Weekend was great! Easter dinner delicious. But - Harley is depressed and in the corner of my dashboard with his straw hat on and head bowed. Last week on Monday and Tuesday he was holding court with the top down on the ladybug convertible and quite proud of himself. His little ears were flying and flapping in the wind as it circulated inside the bug. AND THEN - the cold came, the snow came (kind of) and he lost his "bliss." Catch phrase in the world right now is, "Follow your bliss." Seems Joseph Campbell is credited with this quote which goes, "Follow your bliss. Find where it is, and don't be afraid." Sometimes I feel like the caveman on the car insurance commercial -- "Huh?" I know one should follow their dream but bliss sometimes to me is a muddled word. It is nice but what does it exactly mean. I've met someone named Bliss - do I want to follow her - don't think so. In the dictionary the word bliss is defined as: 1) complete happiness; 2) paradise; 3) heaven; 4) perfect happiness, great joy. So, OK, I get it but why not just say follow your dream?

Either way I suppose the world won't come to an end if you interchange the one word for the other. I saw on the news this morning that Martin Strel (obviously followed his bliss) and swam the Amazon River - 50 miles a day - the whole 3272 miles in 65 days. Not my bliss. Can you tell I am still muddled? Too bad Tiger Wood lost the Masters (did his bliss burp?). AND I, who cannot get into American Idol, know Sanjaya is really living his bliss and believing in it.


Harley was living his bliss in London one time at the Peter Pan statue. Inspiration on muddled days will happen at any time...... My world is becoming less muddled as I realize MENC's 100th birthday is this week.

To all music educators out there -- you have made this birthday possible. You are the reason we have this organization. You inspire me. You do follow your dreams and your bliss - and it culminates in the wonderful young students you touch every day. Nothing is more moving than the children singing - no matter what age. Yes, music does touch us all and, it might sound trival, until you hear those beautiful notes and the voices raised in song - and your soul soars - YES, you know you have been touched and it was all made possible by a music educator.