Monday, March 19, 2007

Welcome to My World

HEY everybody, "Welcome to my World!" It is a scary world sometime, but oh so worth the ride. Last week I worked on the draft board minutes from the March 2-3 meeting. A footnote or two: (1) When I first started working right out of college at a children’s hospital, I didn’t have a clue what it meant to “take minutes.” About a year into the job, one of the auxiliary ladies, who took their board minutes, could not make it. Bingo! There I was thinking – OK just like taking notes in college…. After that experience I decided I never wanted to take minutes again in this lifetime; (2) Now let’s fast forward to my second job at the arts and humanities council in Oklahoma. Oh boy, no minutes. Life, at times, toys with us. The executive director’s secretary did not show up one Monday morning after an all-weekend board meeting and on my desk were audio tapes (you see plural as in tapes and tapes) with a note – minutes need to be taken. Yes, life toys with me; (3) So here I am at MENC 27 years later -- 80 NEB meetings later -- 79 minutes later -- contemplating my world. I only missed one NEB meeting in all those years because I had to have heart valve surgery – not a bad record. Yup, Welcome to my World! This week at MENC in my world we will be having the Strategic Plan Writing Task Force in town. It will be fun to see some old friends! More about it next week - stay tuned. MJL