Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Interlude

Hi All,

Ok. I have one short comment about American Idol last night. Stephanie (sniff, sniff) left way too soon. I knew I should have voted Tuesday night. And Stephanie, Darlin', I have two words for you: Jennifer Hudson.

Now, a disclaimer of sorts. My background is in journalism—newspaper reporter, magazine writer and editor. I have not been a music teacher, nor have I played one on TV.

I am, however, an editor who loves music. My musical tastes run from Mary J. Blige to Yo Yo Ma to Buckwheat Zydeco to Charlie Parker to (I can’t believe I am telling you this) Barry Manilow.) And I love Show Tunes. I know all the words to musicals like “My Fair Lady” and "Cabaret" and I have been known to sing them at the top of my lungs while vacuuming. And even though I was a church choir soloist, I would be too embarassed walk down the hall singing here at the offce. A number of my co-workers here at MENC are formally trained singers.

I am also a lapsed clarinetist (three years in elementary school, four years in high school) and marching band geek; the daughter of a retired Kansas City mailman who was a jazz musician back in the day and still composes; the granddaughter of a beloved church choral director, who also played in jazz bands before he found, um, the right place to be on Thursday nights and Sunday mornings.

I am the mother of Matt, a 13-nearly-14-year-old who loves sports (baseball and basketball and football), but also loves music. He plays saxophone (in part for the cool quotient) but now wants a guitar. He likes hip-hop music but that is ok because one of his favorite movies of the past couple of years was “Ray” and he really likes jazz, as well as rock music from the last century— the Stones and the Beatles and Pink Floyd. My husband is gratified by Matt's diverse musical interests, too.

As MENC’s managing editor for news, I write and edit stories, and lay out pages for "Teaching Music" and "Music Educators Journal." I have been here just over three years and thoroughly enjoy my work . One of the things I enjoy most is talking to music educators. You guys and gals are so dedicated and it is nice to chat with people who like kids, like their jobs and know that they are making a difference. Music teachers rock!

So, last Saturday I was driving to work (ok, I occasionally work on the weekend when I have a deadline looming and the May issue of "Music Educators Journal" was staring me in the face) and listening to National Public Radio. Then, Hello! Once again I was reminded how much I love NPR. And how much NPR loves music.

Did you hear the story about the high school choral festival held at Carnegie Hall this week? If you didn’t, use this link to listen to it.
http://%20http//www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8932670
I was excited to hear the story, reported by Jeffrey Lunden, because I love hearing music stories, but also because it featured an interview with Craig Jessop, music director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The story concerned the prestigious National High School Choral Festival at Carnegie Hall in New York City. Jessop conducted the concert on March 19.

Last year the MENC National Biennial Conference in Salt Lake City featured a concert by the the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and I can still hear those glorious voices.

Anyway, the NPR story also highlighted a rehearsal of the Bentonville (Arkansas) High School Chamber Choir preparing to play its first concert at Carnegie Hall. Students in the radio piece said they were used to working hard in music classes but were particularly excited to tackle such sophisticated music for the festival. Jessop traveled to northwest Arkansas to rehearse with them.

MENC member Terry Hicks directs the Bentonville choir, one of four chosen to perform in the choral festival. Photos and audio of the rehearsals of Poulenc's "Gloria" can be found at the Web link above. This coming weekend Morning Edition will post a story about the actual concert.

Now, I know music teachers are busy during the day, and probably not listening to the radio. No problem, on the NPR Web site you can hear search for and listen to stories anytime you want.

For example, I found another story this week. “Bringing Brahms Alive with Little Fanfare,” notes, “With virtually any mainstay of the classical repertoire, like the three masterful violin sonatas Brahms composed in 1879, 1886 and 1888, it’s possible to find sparkling performances from lesser-known but artistically mighty interpreters. This recording, by Czech violinist Josef Suk and American pianist Julius Katchen, provides an excellent example.”
Visit http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9020703 to hear the story and three sonatas.

NPR offers a variety of music stories, all genres, educational, commercial, little known artists, big stars. NPR, it is obvious, loves music and considers it an integral part of the human condition. Explore the Web site, www.npr.org and enjoy.

See you next Thursday.
RF
Public Relations and Marketing